Laser Surgery is performed at Gardens Dermatology and Cosmetic Surgery Center. Dr. Shapiro is an internationally recognized expert in the laser industry. Laser surgery is described below and is used to treat many conditions including acne. Our providers also perform laser surgery for wrinkles, freckles, blood vessels, scars, warts, keloids, hypertrophic scars and veins.
Laser Surgery is Laser (light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation) surgery uses an intensely hot, precisely focused beam of light to remove or vaporize tissue and control bleeding in a wide variety of non-invasive and minimally invasive procedures. Purpose
Laser surgery is used to:
- Cut or destroy tissue that is abnormal or diseased without harming healthy, normal tissue
- Shrink or destroy tumors and lesions
- Cauterize (seal) blood vessels to prevent excessive bleeding.
The first working laser was introduced in 1960. The device was initially used to treat diseases and disorders of the eye, whose transparent tissues gave ophthalmic surgeons a clear view of how the narrow, concentrated beam was being directed. Dermatologic surgeons also helped pioneer laser surgery and developed and improved upon many early techniques and more refined surgical procedures.
Types of lasers
Two types of lasers most often used in medical treatment are the:
- Carbon dioxide (CO2) laser. Primarily a surgical tool, this device converts light energy to heat strong enough to minimize bleeding while it cuts through or vaporizes tissue.
- Neodymium:yttrium-aluminum-garnet (Nd:YAG) laser. Capable of penetrating tissue more deeply than other lasers, theNd: YAG makes blood clot quickly and can enable surgeons to see and work on parts of the body that could otherwise be reached only through open (invasive) surgery.
Sometimes described as "scalpels of light," lasers are used alone or with conventional surgical instruments in a diverse array of procedures that:
- improve appearance
- relieve pain
- restore function
- save lives
Ear Lobe Repair
A broken or torn *ear lobe* is one of the most common cosmetic *ear repair surgery* in Miami. This can be very heavy earrings, piercing *ear lobe* in an awkward position, or trauma to the *lobe*.
*Scar revision* is surgery to improve or reduce the appearance of *scars*. It also restores function and corrects skin changes (disfigurement) caused by an injury, wound, or previous surgery.